Saturday, October 31, 2015

Lake Of Memories - A Short Fiction

Picture Courtesy : Ravi Shukla




No matter what world says to you, no matter what your parent thinks about you, Dishant, it is you who will define the purpose of your life. It is you who will make your life happening. Don’t break because of one failure. Don’t be shattered because they cannot understand you. Believe in yourself, dammit! Because I know what is hidden within you!

Harshil smiled at himself, recalling his words he had told his friend before ten years. It surprised him how a memory of an event, something as simple as an act of consoling someone, could make a person happy. Seated upon the bench near the bank of the lake, he inspected his surroundings. Apart from few upgradations by man and changes by nature, nothing had altered. Bushes which were wild in his days of studies were now trimmed.  He bent over the seat and picked up a smooth stone. Before he could throw it, his phone rang.

“Where the hell are you?” he demanded.

“Coming in few minutes,” Dishant replied. “Traffic has blocked the way. Damn! I’ll be stuck here for a decade I think.”

Peals of horns irritated Harshil’s ear. He barely could hear what Dishant said further. 

“What?”

“Just wait there,” Dishant said. “I am coming.”

“You know the place, right?”

For a long moment Harshil only heard the blaring of horns. He understood Dishant had no clue where the rendezvous was.

“Harshil, I know we are meeting in college’s campus,” Dishant answered. “But exactly where?”

“The same place where you had revealed your deepest fear to me.”  Though he could not see his friend but he was sure Dishant was smiling.

“Meet you there.” And then the conversation ended.

The calm surface of the lake broke into ripples as Harshil threw the stone, disturbing the silvery reflection of the full moon. It seemed to him that those little waves of lake were dragging him back to his college days, to that day which made this place special for them.

It was a regular day like most of the college days. Mind was exhausted from continuous lectures and life had turned joyless from monotonous schedule. The real drama began at evening when someone from the hostel got a message that the result of the past semester was uploaded on the university site. A thrill ran all over the hostel and the news of the result declaration spread even faster than the wild fire. Laptops were flipped open. Fingers were running over mobile screens. Calls were made. All this hullabaloo just for one reason – to know the result.

Harshil’s eyes were darting on the loading circle of the tab of his browser. With its each spin his heart was pounding even faster. And then the sluggish speed of the college’s Wi-Fi betrayed him. His hope faded. Frustrated, he banged the table with a loud thud. The scattered pens with missing caps and pencils rattled.

“What happened?” Ashish, his room-mate asked.

“Page loading problem!” He spun over his chair and snatched his mobile phone from the bed. He was aware he had not activated any internet packs on his number, but the curiosity to know the result defied all his fear of balance deduction. Sometimes, results demand prices, along with hard work. To his dismay, his cell phone refused to get connected. “Why me? I cannot open the damn site!”

“Same here, buddy,” Ashish said, showing his phone screen to Harshil. The browser was blank.

Just after momentarily look on his roommate’s phone, Harshil saw Shreya’s name flashing on the screen.

Ashish picked the call. “Hello?...Yes, I know the result is out…What?...Can you see mine?” 

Harshil watched Ashish closing his eyes and praying in murmurs. Then suddenly his eyes shot open. “Are you sure?” He then turned to Harshil, and Harshil got a very bad feeling from his look. Before Harshil could ask him to request Shreya to see his result too, Ashish ended the call.

“Shreya scored 9.3,” Ashish said.

“And what about you?” Harshil asked, partly annoyed he had no clue about his own result.
Ashish rose from his bed, came near to Harshil and hugged him tightly. Harshil’s ears itched as Ashish screamed. “I have passed, Harshil” He shook Harshil heartily, and Harshil realised people could be dangerous when they are jubilant. “I’ve passed.”

“Great! Now go and fetch someone so that I can see my fate.”

“Harshil, I was scared. I thought this time I was going to fail in one subject, but…” He then gestured to the ceiling, and Harshil understood he was thanking to God.

“It happens buddy.” He congratulated Ashish. “I am happy for you.” That was a sheer lie. 

How could he be happy? He was not as bright as Shreya, the topper of his class or as lucky as his roommate Ashish, who always cry after exams that he would be failing and yet he clear every subject, every time. From past experiences Harshil comprehended one thing - the results of his university were unpredictable. It was a gamble of luck and he was not a master at dice.

“Keep trying on your laptop,” Ashish said. “I’ll go and see if anyone has got speedy internet.” 

With this words he stormed out of the room, leaping in excitement.

Sighing heavily, Harshil turned to face the laptop. He refreshed the page and this time his luck charmed. The site opened, demanding the required information of the student. Feverishly, he entered his enrollment number, selected his semester number and typed the capcha. Once clicked the submit button, he waited anxiously, chewing his nails.

The unavoidable moment arrived. The result opened before him and his eyes widened. “I am passed?”

 He refreshed the page twice for assurance. He sprang on his feet and dashed to the balcony. “Hell yeah! I have passed!”

Without wasting any moment, he dialled to his home. “Hello, Maa. Is Papa there? Okay…tell him I’ve passed….Yes, Maa…No, I am not lying…Thanks a lot. Okay, Maa, call you later.”
The second number he dialed was of his best friend, Dishant. The ring went on, but no one picked the call. He again tried, still no answer. Third time he called. The number you are trying to call is currently switched off.

Worried, Harshil went to Dishant’s room. “Where is Dishant?” he asked. Dishant’s roommate’s eyes were fixed on the computer screen. They paid no attention to Harshil, and he got a feeling they were too ignorant about his friend’s whereabouts.

Night was already gathering outside when Harshil stepped out from his block. He asked few of his friends, but everyone shook their heads. Like shadows in the sky above him, a fear darkened in his heart. He kept re-dailing his number and every time he received the same answer – switch off! A horror began to grow within him. He called Ashish. “Hello. Hey, Ashish. What is Dishant’s result?” 

There was a pause for a moment before Ashish answered and Harshil’s hand froze. Without ending the current call, he sprinted. He knew where he would find Dishant. Please, don’t do anything stupid, idiot!  

After running a mile, he finally reached near the lake. The dark pool of water mirrored the heaven above. From the corner of his eyes, he caught a glimpse of a bulk of darkness huddled on the bench and a spark of red light.

“I say stop smoking!” Harshil grabbed the cigarette from Dishant’s hold and tossed it in the lake. The cigarette doused with a hiss before sinking. “What are you doing here?”
Dishant remained silent.

“I am asking you something, fool!” Harshil shook Dishant’s shoulders. “You’ve freaked me out. I thought…”

“You thought I’ll do something crazy, right?” Dishant sighed heavily. “Believe me, I’ve gone through worse than this. Go, Harshil. Grant me sometime alone. I’ll be joining your celebration at night. By the way, congratulations.”

In the pale light of the full moon, Harshil could see Dishant taking out another cigarette from his pocket and pressed its one end between his lips. Before the matchstick buzzed with flame, Harshil snatched it away. “How can even I celebrate leaving you here?”

Dishant managed a weak smile, but his eyes betrayed his real condition. They were solemn. “I assure you I’ll be returning in an hour.”

“I am not going to leave you!” Harshil adjusted his place beside Dishant. The old wood creaked under their weight. “I’ve seen your result. You’ve scored well in other subjects. It’s just one subject you’ve failed. I know you’ll cover it up in next semester. Now, come on, I’ll buy a cold drink for you.” He hoped it would uplift his friend’s mood. Cold drinks were something Dishant could never ignore.

Dishant faked a smile but it didn’t last longer. He broke into sobs.

Harshil spread his arm around him. “Hey, it’s okay,” he said in pacifying voice. “You’ll cover it in the next semester. I believe in you.”

“But they no longer believe in me.” Dishant said, his words shook between his sobs. “They said I am wasting their money. I’ve failed them, Harshil. I’ve failed them!”

Harshil understood who “they” were. Dishant’s parents. He remained silent, allowing Dishant to burst out his grief. He knew the pain can be lessen if it is shared.

“I’ve tried everything. I’ve referred the best books from our library. Downloaded tutorials from internet. I’ve revised my notes many times, but...” Dishant wiped away the streak of tear from his cheek. “…I don’t know where I’ve done mistake. I’ve put my soul this time in studies, but…”

Harshil had no clue how to respond. He had to say something. His heart twisted to see his friend in such withered condition. “It happens in life.”

“But why with me?” Dishant almost shouted.

Something in his yell told Harshil the real problem was totally different. “You are hiding something. Tell me. Don’t succumb yourself with it. It’s breaking you. Reveal it.”

Dishant stared at him for a while. “Why can’t he understand like you?”

“Your father?” Harshil guessed.

Dishant nodded. “When I called him and told about my failure, he became outrageous. He told me I’ve always humiliated them. He told me to learn something from my elder brother. I did everything to uplift myself in his eyes.”

Harshil patted lightly over his shoulder. He was astound to see another aspect of Dishant. For world, Dishant was a jolly fellow. Always joking around, spreading smiles with his sarcastic comments. Hanging out with him was always a joy ride. It never occurred to Harshil that his smile was damming the flood of sadness. In that matter, Harshil thought he was failed as a friend. A friend is supposed to know each other’s problems.

“I am exhausted, Harshil,” Dishant continued. “I am tired of fighting against life. I am tired of acting that I can achieve something. Truth is, I am a loser.”

That flared anger within Harshil. “Never say that! I’ve seen you. You’ve outmatched the seniors in debate competition. You’ve hosted many events of our college. You are a star of our campus!”

“What is the use of such achievements which cannot make your parents happy?”

“No matter what world says to you, no matter what your parent thinks about you, Dishant, it is you who will define the purpose of your life. It is you who will make your life happening. Don’t break because of one failure. Don’t be shattered because they cannot understand you. Believe in yourself, dammit! Because I know what is hidden within you.” Harshil said. “And you know one thing, you are far better than me.”

Dishant blinked in surprise.

“What? You don’t believe me?” Harshil asked.

Dishant smirked. “It’s good to see people are believing in you when you still doubt yourself.”

“Listen me carefully, champ.” Harshil leaned a little ahead. “Our parents still lives in past. They think the world is still same. They believe our future depends on our marks. But you and I know the reality, it’s totally different! Skills and decisions shapes our fate. If you’ll try to convince them, you’ll always face their stubbornness. Well, they are right from their perception. So better show them what you are capable of. I know engineering was never your option for further studies.”

Dishant’s eyes arched in bewilderment. “How do you know?”

Harshil smiled. “I observe. I think. I understand. You are good at convincing. I’ve seen you charming the people with your words. I’ve seen you mingling with them easily. That’s your quality. Make them as your foundations for your life. And I am damn sure you’ll soar in your life.”

A long moment of silence lengthened as both friends stared at the swift movement of an insect moving across the surface of the lake.

“Thanks.” Dishant broke the silence. “Thanks for everything. I’ve almost lost the hope.”

“Hey, that’s what friends do.” Harshil said. “Making each other happy. Now give me a cigarette.”

Dishant looked as him as if he had seen a water snake. “What?”

“Give me a cigarette.” Harshil repeated. “You were smoking for your defeat. I’ll smoke for my happiness.”

“I am not giving this thing to you.” Dishant dug out all cigarettes from his pocket and clenched in his fist, almost crushing them. “This will weaken you. And I don’t want you to suffer.”

Harshil beamed at him. “So do I, champ.”

Dishant realised his mistake. He threw the crumpled cigarettes away. “Can you do me a favour?”

“Harshil, at your service, sir.”

“Err…can you keep this conversation and this cigarettes issue as a secret?” Dishant requested. “I mean, I had a good image among girls. I don’t want to ruin that.”

“Well, that demands a price,” Harshil said.

“And that is?”

“A vadapav!”

Days passed, semester neared to an end.  Harshil found Dishant most of his time, studying something. He never asked what his friend was upto. And one day, Dishant called him to meet him by lakeside. Harshil hurried to the place. “What’s the matter?”

Dishant bear hugged him. “I’ve cracked CAT! Thanks for realising me what I am good at. My father’s chest is swelling with pride today. Thanks. It’s all because of you.”

“It’s not because of me,” Harshi said. “It’s because of you, Dishant. My unbreakable champ!”

“Still recalling that moment.” A man’s voice dragged Harshil from his nostalgia. Dressed in suit, with trimmed beard and a newspaper wrapped packet in a hand, Dishant looked totally stranger to him.

Harshil embraced him. “How are you, CEO sir?”

Dishant stepped back. “Same the way you’ve left me. And I’ve something for you.” He unfolded the newspaper wrap. The smell of spices and oil were enough to rumble Harshil’s stomach.

“You were still remembering this?” Harshil asked, surprised.

“I promised you a vadapav. Well, I think, now I am capable of buying a dozen of them.”
Both friends seated on the old bench and savoured the vadapavs, laughing, sharing, recalling their past moments.

   



    

No comments:

Post a Comment