Saturday, December 5, 2015

Chhello Divas - Movie and Memories





Highly recommended by more than dozen friends, I finally managed to watch the latest Gujarati urban movie – Chhello Divas. (For non-Gujjus it means The Last Day). I wondered what was the fuss all about. The last Gujarati movie I had seen before it was Bey Yaar, and that too was mind blowing. Seems like Bollywood is losing its creativity and Dhollywood is rising, with logical script and actions that actually follows physics’ laws.

“Bro,” one of my friend texted me, “this movie will make you nostalgic!”


“Dude,” another friend called me, “you have to see this one !”



Well, a Gujju inside me couldn’t resist anymore.



The Last Ride, The Last Dinner
The first scene dragged me to my past. Four friends riding in a car on the last day. That exactly what we did on our last day! I, Harshil, Tushar, Dishant and Kashyap (the physical features of this guy resembles to the character “Dulla” from the film). A long ride through the city, crossing the shops and restaurants where we had made some remarkable memories – birthday parties, success parties of events…and the list goes on. We almost celebrated every little achievement. Four years we had been together, and every seconds we had shared was filled with teasing each other, but that night silence was dominating. None spoke much, however, I could hear everyone’s thoughts aloud –  may this last ride never ends. But it ended in the restaurant where we had our Last Dinner, revealing our secrets we had hold for too long. Some were predictable, some were astounding.



PALTAN -  It all began with canteen...
Just like the canteen moments depicted in the film, our friendship too reinforced at college’s canteen. I was the only hosteler and during that year our mess was surprisingly developing “highly hygienic” food, which was unstable for a normal being like me.  Compelled by circumstances I joined them. A man has to eat a proper meal at least once a day!



And that’s how Paltan, my gang, founded, including two ladies : scholar Shreya and...Yesha (still searching an adjective for her)





The First Batch - Civil Bros

This movie is filled with classroom mischiefs. Being the first batch of Civil Engineering at ADIT, we were always referred as torch bearers. What our professors hoped that we would put our hearts in studies, however, the fact remains universal that one cannot always be sincere. Recollecting those childish mischiefs, those sarcastic comments, those tickling teases…same was delivered in the classroom scenes of the film. Believe me or not, but I could relate one or more incidents of my college life with many of those dialogues. May be it was our luck or may be God had heard our professors’ prayers, on Keval’s birthday, the seventh semester’s result was declared, and we crowned the position in the university!



Hostel Bros - Mihir's B'day Epic Celebration
Another scene that made me nostalgic was of tea moments. Hostel Bros – Amit (the popular Pandey), Vimal, Sarthak, Mihir, Jignesh and Krutarth. I swore to my current roommate that I had lived those exact moments playing on the screen. And when it comes to tea and the past memories, two places ring a bell – Hemant Bhai’s Tea Spot and Garam Kitli. And how can I forget the most epic celebration of Mihir’s birthday. Neither we nor he will forget till the end of our lives. Someday I am planning to say this to my children, with a grin on my face. “Initially it was ten kicks we gifted him then I lost counting, and kids, your Uncle Mihir danced gracefully that night.”






LAVARA at wedding 
There was one scene where the characters were preparing for YouthFest. Yup, that too happened with me. You can read the detailed account here – Xitij  2013. After my seniors, I can say in one way – my mentors, left the college, the cultural group squeezed in size. Though we didn’t perform in the last year and hadn’t shared those late night practice sessions again in auditorium, somehow miraculously our friendship got stronger than before. Group Lavara : Dhyey, Jay, Mihir, Garima and Payal. Well, what to say, you people are just gems; keep shining! And again just like the story of this film – cultural team attending a wedding – we too attended two marriages.

And there was a scene of Valentine’s Day. I know what are you expecting to know. Whom did I approach? Did she say yes or not? No such things happened. However, I had compiled 7 proposal letters for my friends. “Abey tu writer hai, itna dost ke liye toh kar sakta hai.” Surprisingly, 5 out of 7 were successful. What happened to rest two is still a mystery.

Never I had thought that there would be a movie that could be so relating to my own life. If you are a Gujju and you still haven’t watched this movie, you are really missing something. This movie is more like reliving those precious memories of the golden phase of your life. Go and watch !  

No comments:

Post a Comment